Saturday, February 21, 2009

Proverbs: Chapter 1: 1

Proverbs: Chapter 1: 1 (NKJV)

“ 1 The proverbs of Solomon the son of David, king of Israel:

Verse one tells us who wrote or collected the writings in the book of Proverbs. The story of Solomon is found in chapters 1-11 of I Kings. The specific story of Solomon’s requesting wisdom and knowledge from God so that he could do a good job of leading God’s people is found in I Kings 3:4-15. God’s answer to Solomon’s prayer is found in verses 10 -14.

“ 10 The speech pleased the Lord, that Solomon had asked this thing. 11 Then God said to him: “Because you have asked this thing, and have not asked long life for yourself, nor have asked riches for yourself, nor have asked the life of your enemies, but have asked for yourself understanding to discern justice, 12 behold, I have done according to your words; see, I have given you a wise and understanding heart, so that there has not been anyone like you before you, or shall any like you arise after you.”

“ 13 And I have also given you what you have not asked; both riches and honor, so that there shall not be anyone like you among the kings all your days. 14 So, if you walk in My ways, to keep My statuettes and My commandments, as your father David walked, then I will lengthen your days.”



This, then is the man who put together the book of Proverbs. If God says that he would be the wisest man to live on earth (verse 12) than seeking wisdom from a book by this man would seem to me a “wise” thing to do.

I also find it interesting that God chose to bless Solomon so mightily, because his choice was to ask for wisdom and ways to help and serve his people, and this pleased God.


This would be something that I would want to do, too, in my life. I hope to continue to gain wisdom from God (hence this Bible Study) and I want to be Christ-like and follow God by helping and serving people, for that is what He modeled with His life here on earth BECAUSE He loves us all.

2 comments:

  1. that's my desire too, to be as wise as I can and for it to be the Lord's wisdom, not the world's wisdom

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. Wisdom is the root of being Godly.
    Lynn

    ReplyDelete