Thursday, June 11, 2009

Proverbs 8: 14 - 17

In today’s verses, “Wisdom” continues her “instructions.” The last verse in today’s study promises that those that are seeking wisdom will find it.

Proverbs 8: 14 - 17(NKJV)

14 Counsel is mine, and sound wisdom;
I am understanding,
I have strength.
15 By me kings reign,
And rulers decree justice.
16 By me princes rule, and nobles,
All the judges of the earth.[a]
17 I love those who love me,
And those who seek me diligently will find me.

Verse 14 tells us that “sound” wisdom and strong, understanding counsel is given by those that have obtained Godly wisdom. The next two verses go on to say that kings and princes “reign… and decree justice,” through wisdom. I believe this is talking about “wise” kings, because there are many examples given in the Old Testament that speak of kings that were overthrown fairly quickly because they were evil and unjust.

Verse 17 tells us that “wisdom” will love those that seek her “diligently,” and that they will find her. The word “diligently” means, “persevering, painstaking effort.”

Wisdom doesn’t come to us “out of the blue.” It takes, time, study, and experience … in other words, WORK, to grow into being a wise person, yet this is what God wants from us. The more we study God’s Word and learn of His ways, and then PUT THEM INTO OUR LIVES, the wiser we will grow.
Footnotes:
[a.] Proverbs 8:16 Masoretic Text, Syriac, Targum, and Vulgate read righteousness; Septuagint, Bomberg, and some manuscripts and editions read earth.

No comments:

Post a Comment